About Lawrence County, Ohio
In the year 1803 a patent was issued to Luke Kelly for Sec. 9 and 14 in township 1 north of the Ohio River base containing 662.25 acres. This patent was issued by the United States Government and signed by Thomas Jefferson, President of the United States and James Madison, Sec. of War. This was the method of purchasing public lands by an Act of Congress in 1800. The lands hereabouts were under the North West Territory. He paid $1324.50 averaging $2.00 an acre which he paid in six installments and completed his payments before maturity of his final one fourth. He saved an eight per cent per annum allowed for prompt payments.