Click Here if you’re looking for the Belfont Furnace across town.
The Belfont Iron Works was organized on 3 Sept. 1873 in Ironton by L.T. Dean, George Willard, J.H. Rothwell, John B. Hastings, and B.H. Burr.
One of the oldest and best known industries engaged in the manufacture of muck bar, pig iron and cut nails, is the Belfont Iron Works Company. The Belfont Furnace, owned and operated by the same company, is also a prominent feature among Ironton’s industries, giving employment to a large force of men and producing vast quantities of foundry pig iron and all grades of Bessemer. The nail works operate 126 nail machines and give employment to about 300 men, with a capacity for producing 1400 kegs of nails daily. Muck bar in large quantities and of the highest quality known to the trade, is also made at these works.
The products of the Belfont Iron Works and Belfont Furnac are shipped to all quarters, and the city profits much through the represetnations of such old and honorable institutions. The officers of the Company, Messrs. J. G. Peebles, President; B. H. Burr, Vice President; S.G. Gilfillan, Secretary and Treasurer, are staunch in business and finance, able in judment and executive ability, and rank among the most honored and respected citizens of Ironton.