Big Etna Furnace, later absorbed into Marting Iron & Steel
Buckhorn Furnace, Decatur Township
Center Furnace, Superior, operated by Nannie Kelly Wright
Remnants of Hamilton Furnace, Hanging Rock
Hecla Furnace in 1914, now the site of Upper Twp. Vol. Fire Dept.
Rebuilt, coke-fueled Lawrence Furnace #2, constructed in 1889
Oak Ridge Furnace, still in excellent condition
Washington Furnace, tucked away on Irish Hollow in Blackfork
Monitor Furnace site in Petersburg, now called Coal Grove
Sketch of old Union Furnace, long since demolished
Little Etna Furnace, the stack is still standing on County Road 4
The Ironton Rolling Mill’s blast furnace, originally named Maggie.
Sketch of Grant Furnace, built 1868, now forever covered by the on-ramp of the new Ironton-Russell Bridge.
Beautiful Olive Furnace, the largest remaining stack at 50 feet
While iron production originated in the northeastern corner of Ohio during the first half of the nineteenth century, southern Ohioans soon dominated the industry. The most productive area was centered near Hanging Rock, along the Ohio River. By 1860, southern Ohioans had established sixty-nine iron furnaces, producing more than 100,000 tons of iron annually, across Gallia, Hocking, Jackson, Lawrence, Scioto, and Vinton Counties. The manufacturers sent much of the iron up and down the Ohio River to Cincinnati and Pittsburgh, allowing southern Ohioans to prosper.