Legendary businessman and ironmaster Colonel Henry Adam Marting is highlighted here. The links below are just a few of his enterprises. Below the links are newspaper articles that reference Col. Martng.
• IR Jan. 7, 1892 – The Ironton Ice Factory has been reorganized, J. F. Austin being elected President and Dr. Gray, Secretary and Treasurer. The Directors are J. F. Austin, Dr. Gray, E. Lein, H. A. Marting and S. B. Steece.
• IR Aug. 3, 1882 – East End Items. – H. A. Marting’s residence on Adams street, will soon be under roof.
• I.R. Jan. 28, 1892 – At the organization of the Foster Stove Works last week, Lewis E. Marting, who was formerly in the grocery business in East Ironton, was elected Secretary and Treasurer, in place of H. A. Marting. The other officers were re-elected. Mr. Marting has been at Gephart St., on the M. & C. for the last year or two. He will move to Ironton at once and go into the office of the company.
• THE CORRUGATED IRON AND STEEL ROOFING CO. – I.R. JANUARY 30, 1896
The Corrugated Iron and Steel Roofing Co. has been incorporated and organized with the following officers:
H. A. Marting, President and General Manager
W . M. Kerr, Vice President
Charles Horn Secretary and Treasurer
August Fillgrove Assistant Manager
This is an extension of a business which has been operated to some extent in connection with Fillgrove’s pan factory. The Company has bought property running from Front to Second street on part of which Joe Wieteki’s stable stands. They are receiving bids on a building 42 x 80 feet, to front on 2nd. This will take away part of the stable. It is the purpose to put in at first, a roofing machine and a paint machine. The former is a heavy press. They will make all kinds of iron and steel roofing.
• MARTING IRON & STEEL – I.R. FEB. 23, 1899
The directors of the Marting Iron & Steel Co. are:
H. A. Marting
A. H. Mittendorf
W. A. Murdock
R. N. Gilbert
T. J. Gilbert
J. H. King
The first three are Ironton men and the last three from Columbus. The organization discloses the interest of members of a splendid iron company in Columbus, which stands high in the commercial world. This is the King, Gilbert & Warner Co., who have two furnaces and a steel plant in that city, and whose output amounts to 500 tons of steel a day. This community is proud to attract such capital to our town. Col. Marting is President and General Manager of the new company; T. J. Gilbert is Secretary and Treasurer and E. J. Bird, Superintendent. Mr. Gilbert is a nephew of the Gilbert in the Columbus firm, and will move his family to Ironton.
• IR July 20, 1899 – In the Wreck. – Among those in the N. & W. smashup from Ironton were: Col. H. A. Marting, F. F. J. Goldcamp, E. B. Willard, Rev. E. V. Pierce, Chas. Edwards, wife and children, Oscar Chatfield, Pearl Sanders, Mrs. Rowan, Mary Myers, Myrtle Cullen, Mary Gentron. None hurt to amount to much.
• IR Oct. 19, 1899 – Three empty cars were wrecked in the Marting Iron & Steel Co’s yards Saturday, by reason of one car jumping the track and dragging the others over the side of the incline.
• IRONTON ENGINE CO.
I.R. Feb. 8, 1906 – The stockholders of the Ironton Engine Co. held their annual meeting Tuesday afternoon and elected the following directors. Col. H. A. Marting, J. B. Alfree, E. B. Hetzel, W. A. Murdock, A. R. Johnson, A. H. Mittendorf, T. L. Collett, F. C. Tomlinson, and D. C. Davies.
The board of directors perfected the organization by naming Col. Marting for president; F. C. Tomlinson, vice-president; E. B. Hetzel, treasurer and general manager and L. A. McLaughlin, secretary.
The directors authorized the purchase of a lot of new machinery, which will greatly increase the capacity of the plant, and will furnish employment to about 25 extra men. At present the plant furnished employment to about 70 men.
The business of this institution for the past four months has been unprecedented and the outlook for the future is very flattering, with orders ahead for a four months run.
• IT Dec. 10, 1969 – Landmark Ironton Residence Will Be Sold at Auction on Friday Morning. -By Mim Grimes. – One of the city’s most impressive homes, the Colonel H. A. Marting residence at 419 South Fifth Street, will be sold at sheriff’s sale Friday morning. Hundreds of visitors to the large red brick house at 419 South Fifth Street can not believe their eyes as they walk through the spacious foyers and rooms. They find the interior of the home has remained in pretty good condition, presenting a much more inviting atmosphere than the exterior where deterioration has played its usual tricks through recent years. – It is ironic that the man who dreamed about the home and who built it about 1917-18 for his daughter, never lived to occupy it. Colonel H. A. Marting died Sept. 30, 1919 and his daughter Nell Marting Lowry, and her husband Dr. Clarke Lowry, moved into the residence with her mother, Col. Marting’s widow, Margaret Duis Marting. The fact that the builder did not live to enjoy the handsome home left its mark upon the family. It was never the gay social center that it was intended to be due to the illness that struck Mrs. Marting and invalided her in her later years. After the deaths of Dr. Clarke Lowry and his wife Nell Lowry, the home was occupied and owned by a niece, Margaret Reif, who never married. Miss Reif sold the home in 1945 to Mrs. A. G. (Fay) Spriggs who resided there several years. It was then one of the Tri-State’s most beautiful residences and was maintained in good repair by Mrs. Spriggs. She later sold it to the late D. E. “Ducky” Corn. – The home has three floors and a finished basement. The second floor has three suites of rooms, two bedroom suites each with baths. The downstairs has a mahogany paneled library, a 20 x 40 foot ballroom, large solarium and dining room, with large kitchen and built-in refrigeration (not usable now). In one room on the first floor there is a large built-in steel vault of walk-in proportions. – A house at the corner of Fourth and Adams, known as the Judge Fred Roberts’ residence, was once situated on the lot on which the Marting home whch is to be sold is located. – The Martings lived in the former Roberts home when they planned the new, larger home. They moved the house one block away and later sold it to Judge Fred Roberts of the Lawrence County Common Pleas Court. When the old house stood on the big lot at Fifth and Adams it fronted on Adams street. The address (according to old records) was 171 Adams. When the new red brick home was built it was constructed to face South Fifth street on the large 132 x 132 lot. – The late Colonel Marting and his family were influential in Ironton’s business and social circles. He was president of the Citizen’s National Bank and president of the Marting Iron and Steel. The Marting-Lowry interests built the old Marlow Theater, once located on South Third above Park Avenue. It was razed several years ago. The name Marlow was taken from the two-family names. – When constructed, the home cost $65,000 to $75,000 and was a showplace of the Ohio River Valley. – The landscaped lawn and exterior of the residence at Fifth and Adams in its current state is an eyesore, however, the home stands proudly and the marks of its original beauty live on through a maze of trees, neglected shrubbery and deteriorated exterior items, such as broken window shutters and broken decorative items of stone and cement arranged at the entrances, the driveway and the broad front entrance. The well built home of the 1917-18 era has withstood the years well and contractors have examined and marvel at its fine woodwork and paneling and the condition of the walls. “Little damage has occurred within the home that can’t be corrected,” one contractor said.
• IT Feb. 26, 1949 – Spriggs Home of South Fifth Is Bought By Corn. – Mrs. Guy Spriggs announced this morning the sale of her home at 419 south Fifth street to Mr. and Mrs. D. E. Corn, of Gray Gables, Hanging Rock. The sale price was not disclosed. – Mrs. Spriggs will give possession in the late summer. Her plans for another residence are incomplete at this time, she said. – Mr. Corn also declined to say what plans he has concerning the newly acquired residence. – The property is one of Ironton’s most beautiful homes and was built by the late Colonel Marting and was later the home of the late Margaret Reif prior to sale to Mrs. Spriggs five years ago.
• IWR Oct. 14, 1899 – Another Furnace May Possibly Be Built in Ironton by H. A. Marting and Associates. – Three furnaces bought in the Hocking Valley will be dismantled. – Columbus is after the location of the new plant. – Mr. H. A. Marting recently purchased three blast furnaces in the Hocking Valley near Logan. It is the intention to dismantle the three properties and from the material and equipment erect one and probably two furnaces at some other point. Columbus and Ironton are the two points under consideration for the location of the new furnaces….negotiations are pending for the purchase of the old Lawrence Mill site. That is a most excellent location; there are nearly seven acres of ground and switches from all the railroads…The location of the furnaces here would be another valuable addition to Ironton’s long list of busy industries.
•IR May 27, 1880 – Messrs. Stones and Brown, of the Iron & Steel Co., paid Ironton a visit last Saturday, and inspected their mill and furnace. They found everything in good shape and ready for business when the iron market puts in a brighter appearance. …
•IR Feb. 16, 1893 – Big Etna was built in 1873. It was started a few months before the panic of that year struck the country [Cooke Panic of 1873 – smk] In 1893, it will resume. What a history in those twenty years! Etna is a good furnace and the knowing ones say that even in the present low ebb of the pig iron market, it can be made to achieve comfortable dividends. We hope so.
• IR Sept. 23, 1897 – Iron & Steel Furnace Sold. – Last Saturday, Sheriff Ward sold the Iron & Steel furnace to Col. H. A. Marting for $2000. The appraisement was $3000. Sale was on a suit by the county for about $1400 taxes. The Iron & Steel furnace was built in 1871 and cost over $100,000. Shortly after it was completed there was a slump in the iron business and so the furnace was never a money making enterprise. But the price paid $2000, is a terrible descent from the original cost of $100,000. This is because, the condition of the furnace makes its worth little over the cost of scrap. The boilers are burnt out. The ovens out of date. The engines, too small. All the brass mountings have been carried off. The furnace lining is worn out. It would cost almost the price of a new furnace to get it in condition to run. The purchaser will dismantle the furnace and use the ground, about an acre , in connection with the Eagle Mill. But he will not be able to carry out this purpose, for two years, as the former owners have had that time to redeem the property, by paying a penalty of 25 per cent.
• IR Feb. 2, 1899 – Big Etna. – The Furnace Bought and Improvements to Begin. – Big Etna is now the property of Col. H. A. Marting. In a few days he will transfer it to the Marting Iron & Steel Co…. The Marting Iron & Steel Co. has been incorporated with $200,000 capital. The incorporators are H. A. Marting, J. D. Foster, A. H. Mittendorf, C. H. Ketter, A. R. Johnson and E. J. Bird, Jr. Other prominent business men are in the company, and they wil organize probably the first of next week…
• IR Apr. 25, 1901 – After Valuable Property. – Concerning a suit brought some time ago, and in which local attorneys are interested, the Cincinnati Enquirer says: “A suit to recover two furnaces at Ironton, Ohio, now owned by the Marting Iron & Steel Company, was begun before Judge A. C. Thomspon in the U.S. Circuit Court yesterday. The Aetna Coal & Iron Company of New York bought 26 acres of land at Ironton, Ohio, which included the two furnaces known as “Alice” and “Blanche.” They gave a mortgage to the two trustees and secured a $100,000 bond issue by a mortgage on the 26 acres. – Th Aetna Company now alleges that the trustees sold the furnaces to themselves and then transferred them to the Marting Iron & Coal Company January 1, 1899, taking stock in the company. – They allege that the profits of the first year were $210,000, and are suing to recover the furnaces and an accounting and damages. Charles W. Baker is the local attorney for the New York company.”
The plant of the Marting Iron and Steel Company, known as Big Etna Furnace, one time the largest furnace in the United States. It is among the most modern furnaces in the country today. Lawrence County has seven blast furnaces in active operation, with a daily capacity of 1,600 tons of Pig Iron, or over five hundred thousand tons per year.
The Big Etna Furnace, built in 1874, and at the time the largest furnace in the world. It has been rebuilt, and is now one of the best equipped large furnaces in the country. It is one of the furnaces owned by The Marting Iron and Steel Company of Ironton, Ohio.