The Superior Portland Cement Company was located in Superior, Ohio along a spur of the Detroit, Toledo & Ironton Railroad.
Superior was located at Center Furnace, which converted raw materials, such as coke or charcoal, limestone and air into pig iron. In 1906, the Superior Portland Cement Company was organized with a capital stock of $10,000, which was raised to $525,000 in accordance to its original plans. The company purchased the furnace and 7,5000 acres of land for $100,000. A cement mill was constructed a year later.
Superior had a drift opening into limestone seams that were six feet thick. The cement mill had a capacity of 2,000 barrels per day.
In 1932, the company was vested to New York Coal Sales Company of Columbus, but operated as a wholly-owned subsidiary.
Marquette Cement Manufacturing Co. announced December 22 the outright purchase, effective January 1, 1954, of the Superior Cement Division of the New York Coal Co., which includes the plant at Superior, Ohio, and of Southern States Portland Cement subsidiary, to be called Superior Marquette Cement Co., will be immediately organized. J.M. Dowdy has been appointed superintendent of the Superior, Ohio, plant. He replaces the former superintendent there, Fred F. Besco, who has resigned to take an extended vacation.
Source: “Concrete” Vol. 13, by Harvey Whipple, 1918
It was then sold to Kosmosdale on March 28, 1988.
The Kosmosdale cement mill closed in 1986 due to labor disputes.
For more information about the Village of Superior, Ohio, Click Here.
Check out aerial footage of the Marquette Cement Plant in 2015 on our Videos page.