Keller / Marting Hospital
The Marting Hospital was located at 311 South 5th Street, Ironton (where Lawrence Federal/WesBanco is now). It was originally named the Keller Hospital. In 1914, Dr. Lester Keller.
A little about Dr. Keller:
KELLER, Lester, Yorba Linda Calif.
Physician, fruit grower, born in Cadmus, Ohio on Feb 25 1859, sons Stephen G and Lynia (Lonks) Keller; father French and German, and mother: Dutch and English descent. M.D. Medical College of Ohio, Cincinnati, 1883. Married in Ironton, Ohio on June 1883 to Mary Allen (deceased(. Was surgeon for W Va coal mines eight years. Owner and surgeon in the Keller Hospital for 22 years; President of First National Bank of Yorba Linda. Retired as captain surgeon, Ohio National Guard. Served one term in W Va Legislature, 1891. Pres. Asso. Chambers of Commerce of Orange County, Calif. Chmn Publicity Committee for all Liberty Loans. Fellow American Coll of Surgeons. Pres local Board of Library Trustee. Republican.
Dr. Keller sold the hospital to his colleague, Dr. William F. Marting.
In the 1922-1923 Ironton Phone Directory, the hospital was listed under the new name, Marting Hospital. A housekeeper, Mrs. Maude Marting, was also listed in the directory. William, the owner, resided next door at 303 South 5th Street.
By 1924, Maude was not longer listed as an employee of the hospital.
In 1928, Dr. William Marting’s wife, Erma C. Marting, makes her first appearance in the history of the hospital. Erma was listed as the superintendent of nurses at the hospital.
By 1930, the hospital had become a real family business when William and Erma’s first daughter, Dr. Anne D. Marting, became a physician and surgeon there.
In 1940, a few things had changed. Anne had married Virgil Alstott and so became Dr. Anne Alstott. Dr. William F. Marting was listed as the medical director of the Marting Hospital. Erma was now the RN (registered nurse) supervisor at the Marting Hospital and Charles S. Gray Deaconess Hospital. This remained the same until 1962.
On January 7, 1962, Erma Chloe Drayer Marting died.
By 1965, the hospital was no more. Dr. William F. Marting resided on the property which was now called the Marting Apartments. Dr. Anne Alstott had no record of employment.
In 1966, Marting Apartments was still in existence. Dr. William Marting had retired and moved to 303 South 5th Street. Dr. Anne Alstott used the apartment building for her offices.
Dr. Anne Alstott continued to house her medical office in the Marting Apartments until 1974. She moved her offices to 417 Jefferson Street. In 1974, the hospital was razed to make room for the Lawrence Federal Bank (present day Oak Hill Bank).
Taken from http://www.briggslibrary.com/hamner/MartingHospital.html