The original Methodist Church built at our present location in 1852 was called Spencer Chapel. It was replaced in 1893 with Spencer Church, the same building we occupy today. After a union of Wesley and Spencer Churches in 1913, we became known as the First Methodist Episcopal Church. A merger in 1939 of Methodist churches and Protestant churches nationally resulted in First Methodist Church. In 1968, a final merger nationally with Evangelical United Brethren church resulted in our present name – First United Methodist Church.